Michael Ratliff | Of Counsel
Primary Practice Areas
Construction Law, General Civil Litigation
Michael joined the firm in an Of Counsel role in October 2019 following his retirement from the Office of the Attorney General. After eighteen years of private practice in New Orleans, La. and Sweetwater, Tx., Michael served twenty-four years in the Transportation Division of the OAG, the last few years as Senior Attorney for the Tort and Contract Litigation Section. In his career, he tried over fifty cases to jury verdict and several contract cases before the State Office of Administrative Hearings. In addition, he handled twenty appeals. Michael is Board Certified in Civil Trial Law.
Michael’s role is to assist in the evaluation, analysis, and development of contract claims. His experience with the TxDOT claims process and litigation background will be utilized to assist clients in preparing an efficient and effective presentation of their claim.
- University of Texas at Austin (Bachelor of Arts with honors, 1973)
- University of Houston (J.D. 1977)
- State Bar of Texas (1977)
Key Published Cases
- Sipes v. Tex. Dep’t of Transp., 949 S.W.2d 516 (Tex. App.—Texarkana 1997, writ denied).
- Snow v. Tex. Dep’t of Transp., 13 S.W.3d 889 (Tex. App.—Amarillo 2000, no pet.)
- Tex. Dep’t of Transp. v. Bederka, 36 S.W.3d 266 (Tex. App.—Beaumont 2001, no pet.)
- Tex. Dep’t of Transp. v. Velasco, 40 S.W.3d 702 (Tex. App.—San Antonio 2001, no pet.)
- Ihlo v. State, 71 S.W.3d 494 (Tex. App.—Austin 2002, no pet.)
- Sehorn v. Tex. Dep’t. of Transp., No. 07-03-0195-CV, 2005 WL 991290 (Tex. App.—Amarillo Apr. 26, 2005, no pet.) (mem. op.)
- Evatt v. Tex. Dep’t of Transp., No. 11-05-00031-CV, 2006 WL 1349352 (Tex. App.—Eastland May 18, 2006, pet. denied) (mem. op.)
- Tex. Dep’t. of Transp. v. Crockett, 257 S.W.3d 412 (Tex. App.—Corpus Christi 2008, pet. denied).
- Tex. Dep’t. of Transp. v. Gutierrez, 284 S.W.3d 848 (Tex. 2009).
- Tex. Dep’t. of Transp. v. Peterson, 2011 WL 5166409 (Tex.App.—Tyler, 2011).
- Tex. Dep’t. of Transp. v. Perches, 388 S.W.3d 652 (Tex. 2012).
- Tex. Dep’t. of Transp. v. Ingram, 412 S.W.3rd 129 (Tex.App.—Texarkana 2013, no pet.
- Tex. Dep’t. of Transp. v. Tarver, No. 01-17-00919-CV, 2018 WL 3468475 (Tex.App.—Houston [1st.Dist.], July 19, 2018, no pet.) (mem.op).